Monday, April 19, 2010

A Day Trip to Trier, Germany and the Frankfurt Zoo

The weekend weather was beautiful and we decided to take advantage of it with a couple day trips. Saturday we headed over to Trier, the oldest German town north of the Alps. Trier is nestled in the Mosel Valley and is a quick 1 1/2 hour drive away ... a drive taking us through rolling hills and vineyards. We spent a few hours roaming the streets, browsing through the farmers market and taking breaks for bratwurst and ice cream.

Flowers at the market ... oh how I LOVE fresh flowers! I bought 10 white tulips for 4 euro.

Kelty stretching his legs in one of the courtyards.

Time for ice cream in a fresh waffle cone ... yummy!

One of the things we look forward to sharing with my family when they come out is the laid back environment .... taking the time to sit and enjoy a cafe outside, sitting and chatting, people watching, or like this guy ... sit on some steps with your dog and read a paper. Oh, I love it!

... and the architecture

I love these moments

... and these

Sunday we decided to head over to Frankfurt and visit the zoo. The zoo was pretty packed and it seemed as though the animals were taking Sunday "off" too.

We brought Kelty's Little People animal picture book ... this is a GREAT book! Every time we stopped to look at an animal, we asked Kelty if he could find it in his book.


Checking out the monkeys. Speaking of monkey's ... oh you should have heard the chatter and giggles when we walked passed groups of folks while Kelty was wearing his monkey "leash". I actually heard one man laugh and comment with the word "hund" (dog) and "line". It was a busy day and Kelty is a quick little guy that possesses an amazing skill of wriggling out of your grasp ... better safe than sorry. :o)

5 comments:

  1. Laid back environment sounds nice. Not possible w/ my kid, but very nice. I'm ready to bust out her pink dog backpack/leash too. It's a necessity nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had a leash like that, but it's hard to get one here and I'm a little afraid from the reactions around us.... I shouldn't, though, I know...

    Lovely pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it was a beautiful day! We're having colder days over here so I'm a little jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it was a beautiful day! We're having colder days over here so I'm a little jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used the exact same monkey backpack with both of our boys and I didn't care who said anything. I knew without it my child wouldn't be safe! Your pictures are beautiful and it looks like you were having a wonderful time. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails