Friday, March 26, 2010

Travel Felt Mat TUTORIAL!

Here it is folks ... my Travel Felt Mat Tutorial! I guest posted this tutorial over at Imperfectly Beautiful a few weeks ago but in case you missed it, I'm re-posting it directly on my blog! If you didn't catch the my original Handmade Travel Toys post ... you can visit it it HERE.

I've also had a few requests to list these in my Etsy shop ... not quite sure when I'll add them but be on the lookout for a GIVEAWAY after my Awareness Ribbon Applique Giveaway ends! (hint hint)

Travel Felt Mat
We live in Europe and do a lot of traveling ... this little fold-n-go felt mat with storage pockets has been a hit with Kelty.



Materials
Felt, Cute Fabric, Iron-On Velcro

Step 1: Lay your "cute" fabric face down on your felt

Step 2: Cut your fabric 18" long by 11" wide

Step 3: Sew three of your sides together (both long sides and one short side)
It will look like an inside out "pillowcase"!

Step 4: Turn your "pillowcase" inside out so the printed side of your fabric is facing out. Press with an iron for nice crisp edges.

Step 5: Now, for the little tab that keeps your felt mat rolled-up secure! Cut a scrap piece of your fabric, approx. 10" long by 3" wide.

Step 6: Fold the scrap piece in half (right sides facing eachother) and sew three sides (just like you did for the main piece). Turn it inside-out and iron ... now it will look like the photo above!

Step 7: Now insert the edge of that cute little tab into the open side of your "pillowcase". Now sew your "pilowcase" closed, sewing the little tab into the seam as you go.

Step 8: So lets make those edges look nice ... you're almost done! Sew a nice straight stitch around all 4 edges of your felt mat.

Step 9: Now, let's make that storage pocket! Fold one side of your felt mat in about 4 inches ...

Step 10: Sew up along both edges to make that pocket ...

Step 11: Find your center point of the pocket and make a straight stitch up the middle ... now you have 2 pockets!

Step 12: Now to finish it off! Take a small square of your iron-on velcro and iron it on the inside of your tab (Don't iron directly on the velcro ... just press it from the other side!)

Step 13: Fold your cute little mat in thirds and iron on the the other piece of velcro!

Voila! You're done!

Now find some felt scraps and have fun creating little felt play scenes!

I hope you made it through the tutorial without any "what the?" shouted at the computer screen! If you have any questions just leave a comment and I'll help you out!

I'm linking this to ..





Keeping It Simple

Show and Tell Green




27 comments:

  1. This is darling!! Such a great idea! Stopping by from Friday Follow. Cute blog. Looking forward to seeing more fun stuff ;) Oh, and now I am a follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to buying a travel mat on etsy. Thanks Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! By the way, I LOVE your blog design! Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I'm always on the lookout for great travel games. I'm definitely going to make this for our next trip. I actually created a few for a recent trip I took with my kids. You can find it on my blog under "Travel Distractions". They were a big success! http://happybabydesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tutorial and a cute blog!

    I'm featuring a necklace tutorial and giveaway. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! So great - and super cute fabric you found too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! This is super cute!! Thanks for linking up at my linky party!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fun on the go play thing, I'm definitely going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so fun! I love the little cars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How adorable! The fabric is CUTE! Thanks for linking at LSL:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this tutorial. I've been looking for the perfect travel felt mat to make & I think I've finally found it! I have a McLinky party called Tot Tuesdays. I hope you’ll stop by & link up:
    http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that it encourages imaginative play! Thanks for the great tut!

    Kim
    seven thirty three - - - a creative blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. how cute! i have actually made soem similiar felt mats for my kids church bags. i really like the construction of yours better though. thanks for the how to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up to Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for linking up to my first Link Party! Hope you'll stop by again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! Every time I look at it, I keep thinking that I need one for my little guy! Thanks for sharing at Fun to Craft's Spring has Sprung Party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up on Tot Tuesdays last week. I hope you’ll join me this week for another party.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks so much for this post! i made the travel mat and linked you up to my blog! thanks again!
    http://aprilscraftnest.blogspot.com/2010/04/felt-travel-mat.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is adorable! I love the fabric you used on the outside. What a great way to keep the little ones entertained while traveling. Thanks so much I will for sure be trying this out.

    justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey! Just wanted to stop by and say I loved this tutorial, and made one, blogged here:

    http://theadventuresofroryandjess.blogspot.com/2011/01/travel-felt-mat.html

    Thanks again!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so great! Thanks for the tutorial! I think I will be making some of these for my daughter's bday party... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's really cute. I'm going to see about making some of these for our girls. Of course they will have to have a mermaid/fairy or princess theme though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Jaime,

    Thank you for this amazing tutorial!!!!

    Regards,
    Carine

    ReplyDelete
  25. AnonymousMay 02, 2011

    I'm looking forward to making this thanks to your magnificent tutorial - meticulously detailed instructions AND photos! My corporate training background is very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it!! I made this for my daughter, almost identical design, so i was so surprised and happy to see you have it here! I used and elastic loop and button closure before. I like your idea to close...it would be much easier for my younger child to work on his own.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails