Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Reichlin European Reunion!!

Wait ... hold on ... I need to dust off our blog address before writing this post ... ok, that's better! It has been a whirlwind of events since our Mediterranean Cruise (yes, I know ... still haven't finished that re-cap yet!)

A few months ago Al gave me my birthday gift; he had arranged for most of my family to visit us in Germany ... a reunion in June for my birthday! We spent a few months prepping the house for the additional 9 family members that would be staying with us! We converted bedrooms, bought more beds, stocked the bathrooms with enough matching linens, and so on.

It was a WONDERFUL reunion ... mixed with "go" days and "rest" days, hugs, laughter and tears. Now I'm sitting here in a quiet, lonely house browsing through almost 2000 photos capturing our short time together ....

My brother Rick and my sister-in-law Leslie were the first to arrive. Rick enjoyed the beer but we converted him to wine after our trip to the vineyard ...

Leslie and Kelty rocked it out on the guitars ...

A few days later my sister Rachel and her hubby Shawn arrived! We spent a few hours at the festival in Kaiserslautern ...

We walked through our village and ate dinner ...

Enjoyed great conversation ...

Enjoyed Gelato ...

Visited the wine village of St. Martin ...


Tasted wine, bought wine, bought more wine, and more wine ....

Enjoyed the village ...

... and more wine ...

Enjoyed our quiet evenings on the balcony ....

John took the train up from Stuggart for Jessica and the kids' arrival. We shopped in Kaiserslautern and ate Doner wraps ... and more Doner wraps...

We invited our German neighbors over for some "southern" ribs! Shawn and John had a rib cook-off, Rachel made homemade mac-n-cheese ... I made BBQ pork loin, beans and salad.

John in the kitchen ...

We introduced Heinz and Evi to an American favorite ... S'mores! They were a hit ...

Kelty rocked it out again with his guitar ... this time accompanied by his Aunt RayRay ...

Nana, Jessica and the kids arrived!

We enjoyed more walks through the village ...

We went to ROME!
(Jessica, John and the kids headed back to Stuttgart for some quiet family time)

Kelty and Nana outside St. Peter's Basilica ...

Taking a break walking to the Vatican Museum ...

Al and Rachel ...

Hey, "Mr. Gypsy" ... please stop blowing bubbles in our photos in front of the Spanish Steps ... we don't want to buy the bubble gun ... and other "Mr. Gypsy" we don't want your roses! Poor Shawn, we thought he was going to EXPLODE trying to take this photo!

Rick and Mom at the Colosseum ...

Gladiators Rachel, Mom, Rick and Me

We played with Kelty outside the Colosseum while the rest of the family visited .... Al and I have visited twice so we explored the area around the Colosseum instead ...

We walked ....

We drank .... Cheers!

We celebrated Rachel's birthday in Piazza Navona ...

Cooling Kelty down during our visit to the Basilica (sorry it's out of order here!)

Mom and I (there was another gypsy driving a toy car into Al's feet while he was taking this photo)

We relaxed at the house ....

Jessica, John and the kids came back for a couple days!
Jessica, Rachel and Rick walked down to the market ...

... while Kelty played Twister with his cousins ....

and Kelty laughed at me playing Twister with his cousins ...

The sisters got silly in the kitchen ...

Rachel and I shared our birthdays!! I was born June 10th ... Rachel was born 7 years later on the 9th ... growing up we hated it but now we love it!

Rachel and Shawn left *sigh* .... that afternoon we visited Heidelberg Castle
(John Charles, Nana/Mom, Kelty, Madalyn)

We had a little snack outside the castle ...

We visited the birthplace of my Grandpa Lutz!! This was a very special trip and I'm working on a blog post dedicated to our trip to Solingen. This trip has a special twist, as one of the German documents our neighbors translated was my Grandpa's birth certificate ... and it contained the address of his home (which was where he was birthed!)

... and on the last day, we visited the village of Rothenberg ob der Tauber

and last but not least ... because I'm saddened that my family is gone, I have to wrap this up with a funny shot of .....

My brother-in-law, Shawn, wiping is derriere ....

Our apartment in Italy ran out of toilet paper ... we had 1 roll to last 5 people two days. C'mon! So we did what any decent person would do ... stole toilet paper from restaurants and stuffed it in our bags. We were so excited to have toilet paper again!

So this was a little glimpse into our family reunion in Europe ... and truly a glimpse ... I sorted through 2000 photos to pull these out. I couldn't include all the great ones but I hope I captured the spirit of our time together! Thank you to my family for venturing out of your comfort zone, taking time out of your busy schedules and tolerating the exhaustion so we could enjoy the company of family! Love you!

Thank you sweetie for the most thoughtful and generous birthday gift you could have ever given!!

6 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful time!!
    A) I want to come visit you and go to Rome and castles and stuff!
    2) I love this picture of you playing Twister, Kelty is so joyful, it's really fantastic =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What restaurant were you eating at in your village? What village do you live in? Looks like a good time was had by all! Happy belted birthday!
    Rachel S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWW!! That was so sweet of Al to do that for your birthday!!! It looks like you had a ton of fun and I even cried when your family left. You can tell you really do miss them a ton!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh come on...i just woke up and kelty was already asking for a back up singer...ha!

    Great blog Jaime. We all had a great, great trip together! Miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, what an amazing gift from Al! I can only imagine what wonderful memories were made with all the time you got to spend together =)
    Jaime, I love that you and your sisters look alike ;)
    Kelty is just as adorable as ever. Miss you all so much and hope there is a way we can see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great job on this post, sweetie. A month later and I am still pinching myself and remembering little bits and pieces of conversations we all had along the way and finding myself smiling in the grocery line or while fixing dinner or just looking out a window! Thank you for all of it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails